This video is part of the 2020: A Class Dismissed series. The Maine Monitor is speaking to seniors from as many Maine high schools as possible to tell the story of Maine’s Class of 2020 and how these soon-to-be graduates are dealing with the unexpected developments that come with a pandemic and a disrupted senior year. This video of Jordyn Rubin was recorded on May 16.
Jordyn was interviewed on May 16, 2020. On that day, these were the top news stories in Maine:
- One death, 45 new cases confirmed as Maine testing ramps up (By Rob Wolfe of the Portland Press Herald)
- LePage speaks from inside car during protest of Maine coronavirus restrictions (By Charles Eichacker of the Bangor Daily News)
- Maine to ‘completely throw open the doors’ on coronavirus tests (By Erin Rhoda of the Bangor Daily News)
- Campgrounds, restaurants sue to block Gov. Mills’ quarantine rules for out-of-staters (By Edward D. Murphy of the Portland Press Herald)
- Court issues injunction against Sunday River Brewing reopening (By Mark LaFlamme of the Sun Journal)
- Maine’s two Democratic members of Congress split on new COVID-19 relief bill (By Steve Collins of the Sun Journal)
- State says hotels can reopen, but industry left with more questions than clarity (Rachel Ohm of the Portland Press Herald)
- Maine GOP gets ‘essential’ status for its effort to repeal ranked-choice voting (By Caitlin Andrews of the Bangor Daily News)
- Analysis: Maine enters recession in wake of virus (By Samantha Hogan & Meg Robbins of Pine Tree Watch)
- Maine congressional delegation supports funding to minimize coronavirus risk on election day (By Mal Leary of Maine Public)
- Maine Dept. Of Education secures 22,000 devices to provide internet access to students (By Robbie Feinberg of Maine Public)
- Maine college leaders collaborating on ‘framework’ to reopen campuses (By Kevin Miller of the Portland Press Herald)
To view more of the day’s headlines, browse our collection of the state’s best coronavirus coverage.
Check out our interactive data dashboard to explore trends in Maine’s COVID-19 cases by county, age, sex of the afflicted individuals and more in charts updated daily with data from Maine’s CDC.